amarok licensing

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Thu Jul 26 19:00:28 CEST 2007

Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25. July 2007, Mark Kretschmann wrote:
>

>>> Could you point us to the necessary changes we have to make?
>>>
>> We were just wondering about this: Would we need to get permission
>>
> >from every single contributor?
>
> The answer is two-fold:
>
> a) for changing the GPLv2 license into GPLv3: probably not, because the code
> nowhere said that amarok is going to be GPLv2 only, so one can assume
> implicit agreement for any later version to be fine as well. You have to be
> careful that you don't have any GPLv3-only code added to the tree.
>
> b) for the exception: yes, for any non-trivial contribution. (where trivial is
> nowhere clearly defined). I would try to contact all the major contributors
> and get their agreement, and if any smaller patches are unclear with no
> response (and no clear disagreement from the copyright holder), it should be
> okay (because this particular copyright holder would have to sue all other
> amarok developers, in which case you can still go and revert his patch given
> that it is not a significant contribution).

I wonder if there's a way to future-proof this.  By which I mean, I
wonder if, when we get in touch with all the non-trivial contributors
past and present, we can have everyone agree (in writing/some other
legally acceptable way) that future license exceptions/changes for the
Amarok project can be instituted without contacting all non-trivial past
contributors if (unanimous, 90%, 80%) of current active contributors
vote for the change, or some such scheme.

--Jeff