Taglib / KDE integration

Maximilian Kossick mkossick at gmx.de
Mon Jul 23 23:32:53 CEST 2007

Hi,
i've been looking at porting our current taglib code, in particular the code
which is responsible for saving metadata changes to the files, to Amarok 2.

KFileMetaInfo is the kdelibs class whch handles reading/writing metadata
from/to files, and it has a really easy to use API. KFileMetaInfo in KDE 4
already uses Strigi to read the metadata from the files, and will probably
use nepomuk at some point in the future. Jos designed an abstraction layer
for writing metadata to the files. i'm thinking about porting our own code to
that abstraction layer so that all of kde could make use of it, and i'd like
to hear your opinions.

An important point which would have to be discussed with some kde-multimedia
people is the release schedule for these plugins. As eean mentioned on IRC,
we always want to use the latest taglib version. The KFileWritePlugin's would
need an independent release schedule (similar to phonon plug-ins afaik)

Cheers, Max