[Panel-devel] Plasma and Amarok

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jul 16 21:07:35 CEST 2007

On Monday 16 July 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> i wonder if it doesn't make sense to just use one setter for all of these.
> we could easily have a single setter/getter pair in plasma.cpp for a static
> QString in the Plasma namespace that sets/gets the prefix. this can then be
> used whereever we do KTrader lookups, etc..

on irc, Ian also mentioned that it might be worthwhile to use the provided
name as a further constraint passed to KServiceTypeTrader::query. that would
allow app-specific applets, while allowing plasma, for instance, to show all
of them if it so desired. iow, all applets would have
ServiceType=Plasma/Applet but we'd have another key in there that would be
checked in the constrains section.

this would require a bit of thought, perhaps, as it might eventually be
desirable for an app to have more than one type of applet showing, making a
simple setter/getter not enough for all the use cases here.

adding it as an optional parameter to the various relevant methods in Applet
would uglify the API, however, so i'd prefer to keep it simple and if we do
go the constraints route just have a single optional constraint based on the
set name.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se