Plasma and Amarok

Maximilian Kossick mkossick at gmx.de
Tue Jul 10 09:13:04 CEST 2007

On Monday 09 July 2007, Seb Ruiz wrote:
> On 09/07/07, Leo Franchi <lfranchi at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > planning
> >
> > > ..

> > out. i

> > > i think it makes lots of sense.. it turn out to be some very cool stuff
> > > =) i'll be making libplasma publicly available in 4.1 (e.g. by
> > > guaranteeing binary compat; we already install headers with dptrs and
> > > whatnot but there are no BC guarantees currently) and at that point
> > > moving parts or perhaps even all of the lib to somewhere outside of
> > > kdebase... at that point we
> >
> > may
> >
> > > be able to remove some of the duplication in code and what not.
> > >
> > > for 4.0 you could also just put libplasma into amarok itself and
> > > compile
> >
> > it in
> >
> > > as a static lib; with an 'svn extern' entry in the amarok tree you
> > > could
> >
> > then
> >
> > > track libplasma from kdebase without having an actual kdebase
> > > dependency.
> >
> > thank you for the prompt reply :) the compiling of a static
> > plasma library directly in the amarok source
> > looks interesting, but i'm not sure if
> > we'll need the full resources/complexity
> > of plasma to justify it. either way, i'll
> > start doing it bit-by-bit and if it turns
> > out that i'm pretty much bringing all of
> > it in to amarok, i'll go ahead and svn extern
> > it and compile libplasma statically.
> >
> > amarok devs: what do you guys this?
>
> I'm still having difficulty compiling kdebase/kdepimlibs so I haven't
> been able to test plasma first hand. That said, my gut feeling is that
> it would be better to use libplasma as a guide, and not simply copy it
> over - for the primary reason of unneeded complexity.
>
> Seb

I don't think integrating plasma into amarok is going to be more complex than
writing our own context view. More important, Plasma has a *very* well
designed architecture, unlike the current Context View. Thus integrating
Plasma will make maintenance easier for us in the long term imo.
Additionally, using Plasma, we can give our users the ability to extend and
theme their context view...something which is currently lacking.

Cheers, Max