Plasma and Amarok

Leo Franchi lfranchi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 12:49:47 CEST 2007

On 7/9/07, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> On Sunday 08 July 2007, you wrote:
> > basically, i was wondering if you had any particular
> > reservations/comments/whatever as to the use of a plasma-inspired
> > contextview in amarok, mostly because you *are* plasma :) i'm not
> planning
>
> ..
>
> > so if you don't think that amarok is a good place for a plasma-like
> > graphicsview, or have any specific comments, feel free to point them
> out. i
> > just wanted to give you a heads up on what i'm planning to try.
>
> i think it makes lots of sense.. it turn out to be some very cool stuff =)
> i'll be making libplasma publicly available in 4.1 (e.g. by guaranteeing
> binary compat; we already install headers with dptrs and whatnot but there
> are no BC guarantees currently) and at that point moving parts or perhaps
> even all of the lib to somewhere outside of kdebase... at that point we
> may
> be able to remove some of the duplication in code and what not.
>
> for 4.0 you could also just put libplasma into amarok itself and compile
> it in
> as a static lib; with an 'svn extern' entry in the amarok tree you could
> then
> track libplasma from kdebase without having an actual kdebase dependency.

thank you for the prompt reply :)
the compiling of a static plasma library directly in the amarok source
looks interesting, but i'm not sure if we'll need the full
resources/complexity of plasma to justify it. either way, i'll start
doing it bit-by-bit and if it turns out that i'm pretty much bringing
all of it in to amarok, i'll go ahead and svn extern it and compile
libplasma statically.

amarok devs: what do you guys this?

leo