Disable/Enable collections on the fly?

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Sat Jul 7 05:58:36 CEST 2007

Maximilian Kossick wrote:
> On Friday 06 July 2007, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
>
>> Max--
>>
>> Is there a way to on-the-fly enable or disable collections?  I'm
>> thinking about this in the context of portable devices, where a user may
>> not want to automatically mount/connect a device or may want to
>> unmount/disconnect it at a given time.  If there were a way to
>> enable/disable collections, then this would in effect be an appropriate
>> way to determine whether to connect the portable player or not.
>>
>> --Jeff
>>

> Assuming that the the portable device should always appear in the collection
> browser, check out CollectionManager::addUnmanagedCollection,
> CollectionManager::removeUnmanagedCollection, Collection::remove,
> CollectionFactory::newCollection
>
> Using this method you can decide at any time to add or remove collections.
>
> Cheers, Max

Sounds good, but I was also wondering if there was some more GUI way to
do it (perhaps this is a question for someone else).  If we get rid of
the device browser -- which makes sense considering all the various
Collection methods available -- we'd need a way to connect and
disconnect a device, which would be implemented alongside adding and
removing the device's collection.  Is there a standard planned way to
show a list of available collections (possibly populated on the fly, so
things like devices detected in Solid would show up as appropriate), and
have them toggle-able?

--Jeff