Fwd: [Amarok-devel] kross? Re: Plugins...

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 08:09:14 CET 2007

>On Monday 19 February 2007 09:47, Shashwath T.R. wrote:
>> Of course, we can't stop people from writing dbus scripts using bash or
>> lisp or
>> scheme or whatever, but in principle, I agree. All the plugins we write,
>> support or
>> bundle into Amarok will be from these languages.

> Actually I meant limiting the languages for 3rd party scripts too. Internally
> we shouldn't use more than C++ and Ruby anyway.

Ruby is the best choice, just read somewhere that it is installed by
default on macOSX > 10.2.

> I'm not sure if we can technically enforce the language limit (I guess we
> could simply check the file extension), but I think it would be good. Right
> now there are a number of Bash scripts on kde-apps.org. Having Windows users
> download those won't do much good :)

We can enforce by retaining control over the contents of the Get Hot
New Stuff service for scripts/plugins. We just veto every script that
doesn't use one of the enforced languages.

A note for streamlining discussion: we should agree on nomenclature
for scripts, plugins, themes. In my mind these are not the same. I
suggest this:
- Scripts: written in scripting language, might be supplied by third party.
- Plugins: C++ code that adds some function to Amarok but is not part
of the core. There is strict separation between core code and plugins.
Binary compatibility is not an issue because they are maintained in
our own source tree.
- Themes are markup, meant to define presentation, obviously.

P.S. if these messages don't appear to be part of a thread, I'm copy
pasting from the archives.