Database

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Fri Feb 23 09:29:11 CET 2007

If I understand the graph correctly, you have url and deviceid in uniqueid as
foreign keys.  This is not the case.  Although I don't understand FKs too
well as far as I understand it they're used to link data between two tables
to ensure that values are consistent (or is it that when you look at a linked
value you're actually looking at the same set of data as the referenced
table?).  I'm not against making it a foreign key (or rather, I'd need to
think about it a bit to make sure things would really be OK) of the url field
in tags, though.  IIRC, the original reason that it wasn't a foreign key is
that data in the uniqueid table was going to be persistent even if a
particular track was removed from the collection.  As things progressed
further I realized that this wasn't the correct way to do things as the
values in that table could then get quickly out of hand.  So at this point it
not being a foreign key is (again, IIRC) just...because  :-)

--Jeff