last.fm as a service?

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 15:10:15 CET 2007

> Opinions? Do it that way? Don't do it that way? Just integrate it like
> the existing one is and worry about making it a service later?

Obviously I am biased as hell.... :-) but, I think that making last.fm
a service would have  a couple of benefits.

1. It fits conceptually with all the other "internet" stuff
2. It allows users who don't care about it to simply not load the plugin.
3. It cleans up the config dialog a little since the last.fm config
would the go on the services config page.
4. And this is the main point for me: It would get a second pair of
eyeballs on the service framework that is currently very much a
product of my slightly twisted imagination. As such there might be
quite a few implicit assumptions in there because I have been very
focused on getting it working for the kind of services I had in mind.
Getting rid of these will likely make the framework much more useful
int the long run! :-)

- Nikolaj