Full time on Amarok

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Wed Aug 22 15:17:23 CEST 2007

Maximilian Kossick wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 August 2007, Nikolaj Hald Nielsen wrote:
>
> -media devices, at least ipod + mtp (actually, the ipod media device is the
> only essential one imo, because of the huge market share, but we already have
> code for MTP devices thanks to Jeff)

The big three are generic, MTP, and iPod.

Generic: This could easily be handled, at least at first, by simply
having a second collection rooted at wherever the mount point is.  Most
of these devices don't support artwork or any other fancy features.
Since we have the framework for transferring tracks to/from various
collections (unless that's not implemented yet) that takes care of most
anything you can really do with a normal, vfat generic device.

MTP:  The PMP kioslave is coming along, on the MTP side, sort of.  On
the MTP side you can list tracks, rename them, delete them.  It'd be
nice to at least get it to a point where you can copy songs off of it,
and paste songs in, and deal with advanced functionality later (like
artwork, for instance).  I'm working on this stuff, but keep getting
hampered with issues here and there.  Hopefully it'll pick up a bit as
both KIO and the PMP code get more robust.

iPod:  I'm not really familiar with the range of features available on
an iPod or with libgpod, having not looked at their API.  I imagine it's
pretty similar to the features available on MTP devices.  So probably a
lot of the same problems will be encountered, but hopefully fixing them
on the MTP side will help fix on the iPod side too.

--Jeff