Full time on Amarok

Maximilian Kossick mkossick at gmx.de
Wed Aug 22 08:41:17 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 22 August 2007, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> Leo Franchi wrote:
> > On 8/21/07, *Nikolaj Hald Nielsen* <nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
> > <mailto:nhnfreespirit at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >

> >     2. Popupdropper or another solution to dragging across the context
> >     view.
> >

> > I can't really talk about anything here but the plasma stuff (and PUD
> >
> > :) so here's the status. Basically, a lot of tweaking is needed. Most
> >
> > of the fundamental code is down already, except for one major thing:
> > the loading pane (or however we do it). I'm thinking of taking raptor
> > (from workspace/base/raptor) which is a very pretty applet loader for
> > plasma, once it has matured (still WIP). Basically i really don't like
> > the current ControlBox, and i only put it there because it was an easy
> > copy and paste.
>
> Regarding the PUD, I think we all liked the concept but the
> implementation, in the three or so ways it was attempted, was
> troublesome.  However, with the little I actually know about Plasma
> (i.e. I don't really know how easy it is, or not, to code nice graphic-y
> things with it), I'm guessing that the best way to do this -- if we have
> it at all -- would be to implement it as a Plasma applet that is
> automatically moved to the foreground (or other objects are
> minimized/iconized and then restored after).  So the applet could always
> be running, and simply move it to the front when necessary.
>
> By the way...although it will be nice to have an Amarok release for when
> KDE releases, Amarok 2.0 might want to take a cue from KDE 4.0: a
> technology release, with the polish -- and the users, and the push for
> users -- coming with 4.1.  From the little I know being on the release
> party planning team, I have the feeling that 4.0 won't be hyped to users
> or even distributions as something people should switch to -- that
> target is 4.1, when things are more stable, more mature, etc.  4.0 will
> simply let KDE showcase the technologies they've developed as they mature.

Quick note: That is totally wrong. KDE 4.0 will be the hyped release, because
it will have 3 months of bug fixes at the time of the release in January
2008. KDE 4.0 won't be released in Octobre.

> Not that I don't want 2.0 to have users, but I think it'll be in pretty
> much the same boat as KDE...huge overhaul, not necessarily too
> stable/tested, etc.  So perhaps we're better releasing 2.0 on similar
> terms, then trying to mature and polish and extend functionality and
> features for a 2.1 release to coincide with the KDE 4.1 release.

From a marketing point of view, Amarok 2.0 should be a stable product ("Amarok
2.0 released " just sounds better in the release announcements than "Amarok
2.1 released") and it's release should coincide with the release of KDE 4.0
in 2008 (maybe a few weeks later) .

Cheers, Max