Full time on Amarok

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 17:53:37 CEST 2007

Hi guys!

I will start working for Magnatune soon (sept. 1st) and my first real
task, besides integrating the new subscription stuff into, is getting
Amarok 2.0 out the door, on Linux as well as Windows and Mac.

I know, and this has been discussed quite a bit recently recently,
that there is still a _lot_ of work to do. That is why I would like
input from the rest of the crew about which areas I should spend some
time on, once the service stuff is somewhat stable. I do not want to
step on anyones toes by hijacking their favorite projects, so the
suggestions below are just that, suggestions. Please add your comments
and any items I have not thought about.

The following are a list of, what I see as, high priority items ( I am
most likely missing about a hundred ):

1. The playlist - This one seems to need quite a bit of work yet. I
have to admit, I did not follow the discussion about not using the
standard model/view stuff too closely, but switching from that seems
to have set back the playlist quite a bit. If all we gain by switching
from this is the ability to do inline editing of items, I would
strongly suggest that we forgo this for the 2.0 release and pick it up
later in the 2.x series. Another idea I had was to, in the interest of
getting stuff out the door, do a simple playlist view more in the
style of the 1.4.x one, just to have something working.

2. Popupdropper or another solution to dragging across the context view.

3. General interface cleanup. Maybe just me, but I still don't really
like the toolbar, and there are some other sticky points still.

4. Plasma stuff!! :-) Applets, engines, layout....

I also really thing that we should clearly define what features are
essential for the 2.0 release and focus our efforts on these. I know
this will most likely mean that not everyone will get their pet
project in the first release, but I think it is worth it to stick with
the release often, release early philosophy.

Let me hear what you think!

- Nikolaj