launching applets

Leo Franchi lfranchi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 04:21:22 CEST 2007

On 8/16/07, Seb Ruiz <ruiz at kde.org> wrote:

> On 17/08/07, Leo Franchi <lfranchi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > hey guys,
> >
> > so for those who have tried out the contextview stuff, currently the way
> you
> > add applets is using the swooping-out controlbox in the top-left corner.
> > this is because its easy... it's coming directly from plasma. but
> honestly i
> > don't think we want it in the final version of 2.0, its more suited for
> the
> > desktop than in amarok.
> >
> > that said, i don't really have any idea of what a better system could
> be. so
> > i'm completely open to ideas... ideally i'd like to write something up
> > relatively soon, so feel free to just toss ideas out and i can try them.
>
> Some considerations might be - how often do we want, or expect users
> to change these applets. If there are going to be relatively static,
> it might be wise to have a page in the settings dialog. However, I
> don't think this is really going to be the use case. I imagine that
> the applets will be changed regularly enough to warrant a faster
> solution.

yeah, i dont think we should hide the applet stuff too much, because it's
nice to be able to easily add/remove them. although, the way i see myself
using it is pretty much setting things up once, and then keeping it like
that until i install more that i want to see.

Without having put much thought into it, perhaps it would be useful to
> have a menu entry with all of the available applets. These can be
> toggled from the menu and can be categorised under different groups.
> I'd expect all of the applets to be available from the menus, even if
> they can't be enabled or disabled.
>
> A context menu popup menu could be issued with a right click on the
> view, allowing adding or removing applets relevant only the the
> currently displaying information.

i like this idea---we could have a right click context menu on the
contextview background which opens a simple add/remove applets dialog. i'm
just thinking something simple, with a drop-down list of what "type" of
applet to show (e.g. home, current), which filters the list, then you can
add/remove from the filtered list to the current pane.

I don't know if a button to launch a manager on the actual context
> view is a good idea, as i imagine that it would look cluttered and
> impede on the functionality.

i agree. :)

leo

seb

Leo Franchi                    angel666 at myrealbox.com
4305 Charlemagne Ct         lfranchi at gmail.com
Austin                                 cell: (650) 704 3680
TX, USA                              home: (650) 329 0125