RFC on playlist redesign

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Mon Apr 9 04:00:32 CEST 2007

For those that haven't heard, Leo and I were accepted for Google
Summer of Code. Leo is doing web services, I'm doing a playlist
redesign.

I put a brief outline on what I was thinking to do for the playlist
redesign on the wiki:
http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Playlist_Redesign

I'll copy and paste the relevant part:
==Playlist Refactor==
*PlaylistModel - a simple class containing a list of tracks, currently
playing track. Mostly there to be manipulated by the Controller, as
well as other parts of Amarok that might want to add to the playlist.
*PlaylistWidget - displays the playlist. We could have more then one
type of widget for the playlist and swap between them, if only for
experimentation.
*PlaylistController - Maybe 'controller' isn't quite the right term.
Basically it decides what to do when a track ends, so it should be an
EngineObserver. An abstract class.
**StandardPlay - play the next track. stop at the end of the playlist.
**RandomMode - the various random modes. I think all the various
random modes could be in one class.
**DyanmicPlaylist - removes tracks from the beginning, adds new tracks
according to user rules at the end

Now I know a few people have over the last couple of years planned on
doing a playlist refactor. So I know some of you must have different
or more fleshed-out ideas. I'm curious!

Thanks,
Ian Monroe