[akademy-participant] Notebooks (a nearly completely unrelated side note)

Stefan Majewsky majewsky at gmx.net
Tue Aug 12 19:23:24 CEST 2008

Hi Akademy participants,

as some of you might already know, my notebook has been stolen from my hostel yesterday (together with Felix Lemke's wallet and cellphone).

Fortunately, I have a notebook insurance which also covers theft up to 300 € of the 380 € the notebook has costed.
Unfortunately, they say that I need to buy a substitute notebook within four weeks to get this refund. Time is money in this case!

It seems that I do not have the time to search on the net for weeks for a system with good Linux compatibility which fits my requirements. Therefore, I would like to hear your experience on which vendors deliver systems that work with Linux out of the box or, even better, a current system that fits the following requirements:
* price under 400 € (or 450 € as the absolute maximum)
* dual core CPU would be nice this time
* on-board graphics, WLAN and a DVD reader are enough periphericals; no bluetooth etc. needed
* graphics card should allow KWin compositing

Thanks in advance and much greetings
Stefan