Plasma Active - Ultrabook touchscreen

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Thu Oct 9 23:52:39 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 6:27 PM, hier <hier at wolfgangromey.de> wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 9. Oktober 2014, 18:23:44 schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> > On Thursday 09 October 2014 15:51:19 Caio Ferreira wrote:
> > > Hello gents,
> > >
> > > I just bought a Lenovo Ideapad Flex 14 Touch-80C4000EBR, which came
> with
> > > windows 8.1. I'm a linux user since 2002, currently using openSUSE 13.2
> > > (beta) but I was relly exited to see Plasma Active running in this
> > > touchscreen ultrabook.
> > >
> > > I've seen a lot of things about plasma active running in some tablets,
> but
> > > nothing about touchscreen notebook. I'm just sending this message
> because
> > > can see a big "market" on touchscreen notebooks as no other linux DE
> works
> > > properly with touchscreen.
> > >
> > > Why not to create a distro with plasma active? (suse studio is a great
> > > tool
> > > for this purpose) (yes, there is a old one:
> > > https://susestudio.com/a/abQj83/plasma-active#discussion)
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > >
> > > Caio Ferreira
> >
> > Hi Caio,
> > (btw, why are you so sure there are no ladies in the Plasma Active team?
> ;)
> > ) You are right, convertible laptop/tablets such as the Ideapad Flex are
> > indeed a prime target for Plasma - though not for Plasma Active alone,
> but
> > for the combination of Plasma Desktop in the laptop mode and Plasma
> Active
> > in the tablet mode.
> > Plasma Active was explicitly designed for pure touchscreen use, so it's
> what
> > should be used in tablet mode when the keyboard and touchpad are hidden.
> >
> > Being able to seamlessly switch between the different shells when the
> device
> > mode is changed has always been the goal of Plasma. However, in the
> Plasma
> > 4 times, this didn't work smoothly yet.
> > This will change with Plasma 5, though. The thing is that the port of
> Plasma
> > Active to Plasma 5 is not finished yet. As soon as it's done, it should
> > work in any distribution that ships Plasma, so it makes most sense to
> pick
> > it up at that point.
> >
> > Another reason why we don't see widespread adoption of Plasma Active in
> > regular Linux distributions yet might be that it was developed based on
> the
> > mobile-focused Mer platform and packaging it in other distributions
> turned
> > out not to be trivial. This will change with the Plasma 5 version, too,
> > since at that point Plasma Active is just a regular shell package like
> > Plasma Desktop.
> >
> > So, tl;dr : If you want the optimal experience with Plasma on your
> > convertible, either wait for the port to Plasma 5 or help make it happen
> [...]

This is indeed an important area to investigate. I was discussing with
David (another Plasma devel) this week that maybe we should get a laptop of
those for testing. It's kind of hard to push this kind of things without
the hardware... ;)

Either way, the infrastructure is there, now it just needs the love.

Cheers!
Aleix