ownCloud in PA4

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Sep 6 12:16:45 UTC 2013

Hi Bogdan,

On Thursday, September 05, 2013 12:01:10 Bogdan Cristea wrote:
> On Thu 05 Sep 2013 11:47:26 AM CEST, Bogdan Cristea wrote:
> > On 09/05/2013 11:29 AM, Wolfgang Romey wrote:
> >> I looked it up in virtualbox a moment ago and it is the widget
> >> Synchronisation
> >> - online.
> >>
> >> Maybe it should get another name.

I had names it owncloud initially, but removed it, for two reasons:

- ownCloud is kind of jargon
- the ownCloud trademark is owned by a company, it's unclear if we run the
  risk of trademark violation

I hope one day file synching will have an API independent from a specific
service, so you have, for example, plugins for dropbox, owncloud, kolab's file
storage, google drive, etc.

> > I have found the plasmoid, it was there from the beginning. The icon
> > and/or the name should be changed to something more close to owncloud
>
> Well, after playing with the settings module and the plasmoid I am not
> sure that it is working. Anyway, in my case it fails to synchronize a
> remote folder. Are the sources for owncloud-client available ? I am
> interested in fixing this.

git at github.com:sebasje/mirall.git has the sources in the plasmaclient branch,
under src/plasma/*

It's split up into a small lib, a daemon (which does the synching and is
controlled via dbus) the Plasmoid,, the Active settings module and a KCM
(which doesn't work well yet).

Let me know if you have questions.
--
sebas