Categories

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Wed Oct 30 20:21:36 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 30 October 2013 19:52:53 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > And what is the advantage of this?
>
> a) there is no disadvantage
> b) if you switch from Active to Desktop, it matters

When switching between Active and Desktop, our whole "let's hide the folder
hierarchy" idea breaks down anyway: People want to organize their files in
folders on the Desktop and they might not even tag them, so they won't want
files to just throw everything you e.g. copy from a USB stick into ~/ and they
want to find files via the folder hierarchy in Active as well.
We'll have to re-think the whole concept for Plasma2, since it only worked as
long as PA is the only thing you used on a given device.

Probably we'll have to link tags and folders somehow (like sorting files into
folders automatically based on their tags, and assigning tags automatically
based on parent folder, for example)

> c) it helps prevent Add Ons from clobbering data you put on disk just
> because you happened to name something “Alice In Wonderland.epub” and then
> went to download the book (in the master branch, Add Ons will refuse to
> overwrite it and give you an error message)

How will Files distinguish the two files, unless at least one of them has a
tag or files will distinguish them based on some other meta data?

> > However, if the same type of file is sometimes obtained via Add Ons and
> > sometimes copied onto the device using Files, they end up in different
> > folders, and the only way for users to move them to the same folder is by
> > using Konsole or installing Dolphin.
>
> if the user doesn’t see this, what does it matter?

You have a point there ;)