Network Management Applet not working

Ruediger Gad r.c.g at gmx.de
Fri May 31 10:38:17 UTC 2013

On 05/30/2013 07:18 PM, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Thursday 30 May 2013, Ruediger Gad wrote:
>
>> Marco also suggested to create a small sample app to try different
>> combinations of windows flags and how they affect the behavior.
>> Unfortunately, I do not have the time to write such an app right now but
>> I found something that may be useful:
>> http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/widgets-windowflags.html
>> This app seems to be pretty much what Marco suggested?
>>
>> Do you have any ideas where window flags may be set for applets in the
>> top bar or the corresponding popups?
>> Generally, do you have ideas on how to solve the issue?
>
> another hack that came to mind, is patching popupapplet.cpp, and making all
> popup windows fullscreen (maximized, maybe even without alpha channel,extra
> kwin atoms and so forth)
>
> for small screens it could even look it makes sense, so not "feel" as such and
> hack

Thanks for the hints and ideas Marco. :)

As you already mentioned in the other thread, the problem is really
weird indeed.

I'll try to summarize what I tested so far:

My first thought was that events get not forwarded properly to the
popup, so I placed debug output in the event handler methods in
dialog.cpp and popupapplet.cpp.
With this debug output I could not find any difference between the
non-working networkmanagement applet and the working battery applet.

The next try was to see whether the bounding box etc. are properly set.
Again, everything seems fine here as well; no apparent difference
between the two applets.

Another try I did some days ago was to simply put a big MouseArea in the
top item of the NMPopup.qml code to see if, generally, mouse events
reach the widget. Here, I couldn't get any events at all. I even set the
z property to something insanely high like 1001.

So, to summarize, it seems like the events get lost somewhere in the
stack. In dialog.cpp and popupapplet.cpp it looked like that they are
there (I was looking for mousePressEvent). But then they seem to get
lost somewhere after that.

--
http://ruedigergad.com