[Kde-pim] Kontact Touch Mail - Initial Mockup + Git Workflow

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Thu May 16 15:26:52 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, 2013-05-14, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Saturday 11 May 2013 17:34:43 Michael Bohlender wrote:
> > I tryed to use Pencil for mockups last week but I was not able to come up
> > with something usefull. There are no standard components for plasma
> > active, so I needed to build them myself and I didn't have the time for
> > that...  I gave it another shot this weekend using qml right away and I
> > was way more productive:
> >
> > https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2wLkUtvD4v_SjBnTWx5YklnRTQ&usp=s
> > har ing
>
> now enough on the ui, I have a little question about implementation
> details... A problem i have that basically bans me from using kontact
> mobile is that having a big (but nowdays quite normal) mailbox of around
> 500000 messages, the thing tries to sync all of it. My laptop is barely
> able to manage that, but is completely out of the league of any mobile
> device.

I think the most recent code already does some kind of staged syncing.
Also, since synching is handled on a per-folder basis, we could offer UI
options to not sync certain folders.
E.g. only sync INBOX for new accounts, sync other folders only on request
(keep them in "online IMAP" configuration otherwise).

> so, this is more a qustion to Kevin, would it be technically possible (on
> Akonadi agents level i guess) to make it by default only fetch the last 20
> or so messages of each folder? (eventually downloading older ones on
> demand) or even downloading only unread messages by default.. it would fit
> more the workflow of a mobile device i think.

I don't know the details of the IMAP resource (that is another Kevin :)), but
my guess would be that this would be possible.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring