The future of Calligra Active

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Mar 14 12:21:44 UTC 2013

On 14.03.2013 12:02, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> On 14 March 2013 10:07, Cyrille Berger <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:

>>> That probably won't be used in Plasma Active for the above reasons,
>>> but it's good that you have that flexibility, of course.
>>

>> What Jaroslaw means is that you can have a single process "swap-in"
>> application, so you would get different UI for docs, sheets, presentations,
>> but all running in a single process.
>>
>> In the end, it really is just an implementation detail, I guess the original
>> question is not whether we should have different processes, but if we should
>> separate the UI.
>
> For separate UI - full agreement here - it's expected for reasons
> already mentioned - different interaction methods for each
> application.

In that case, it really doesn't matter to Plasma Active which way you
choose. As Marco Martin put it (but forgot to CC calligra-devel):

"as long as when one clicks on a file and gets it open in the right ui,
whatever of the two waysdoesn't really matter.

btw i think a sensible way would be putting all the "logic"
functionality (ho ui besides document rendering tough) in the
components, so in the end if is done in a  single executable or multiple
metters even less"

Cheers,
Thomas