Discourse and Bodega

Giorgos Tsiapaliokas terietor at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 17:27:02 UTC 2013

Hello,

in bodega we are still missing a feedback/comment system.
The idea is to use an existing forum system in order to avoid
reinventing the wheel. After searching and experimenting with
a few forum systems I came to the conclusion that
discourse<http://www.discourse.org/>
suits our needs better than anything else.

Discourse is written with rails, emberjs, redis and postgresql, so
we are familiar with some of those technologies like redis and postgresql
also emberjs is javascript so we are familiar with the language. The only
new technologies are ruby and rails.

So a few words about ruby and rails (skip this one if you are familiar with
them).
Usually a lot of the modules of those languages are missing from our
package managers so we end up with two questions
1. how easy it is to build them
2. if I build them, where will those end up(in which directory)?

1. discourse is using bundler so a simple `bundle install` does the job.
2. if you don't want to pollute you /usr  you can use rvm, which installs
ruby in your home directory.

About rails, its a framework which is based on the mvc(model view
controller) concept and it has its way of structuring web applications, so
the developer has a lot information out of the box. Also the rails apps
doesn't require a web server in to order to work and in a production level
they are not limited a specific web server.

(continue to read, if you don't:)

The best thing in discourse is the architecture of it, which makes it
suitable for us.
So, discourse is a rails server which provides a json api :)
to emberjs which does almost all the ui stuff. So the
http://try.discourse.org/categories has its api in
http://try.discourse.org/categories.json

The suffix .json is valid for all of the urls. I believe that it can't be
better, we have an api for us, which is part of the basic architecture so
we can be sure that
this api will continue to work and that it contains most of the
functionality of discourse.

Waiting for you comments..

--
Giorgos Tsiapaliokas (terietor)