PA4

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 18:49:25 UTC 2013

Hi all,
at Akademy i promised we would have talked about pa4 after akademy and here it
is ;)

so, i just tried an image i generated with the sdk and tried the x86 version
on a couple of devices: an exopc and a lenovo s10 3-t

on the lenovo works pretty good, on the exopc is reliably broken.
i think the problem is the drivers of the exopc ssd in that particular kernel
version

when running on the thumbdrive it works fine, when installed has issues

an installed image either doesn't boot or lacks a lot of files (most of
artwork seems, plasma themes folders are empty for instance, even tough the
desktoptheme package is installed)
since sebas had a very similar problem recently on a wetab that at first was
blamed to the ssd wearing out, i think is too much of a coincidence that mine
is wearing out at the same moment (and received some other comments as well
regarding pa4 images not booting after installed)

one thing that may be tried is to try to change the installer from btrfs to
ext4 to see if it helps a bit, otherwise exopc/wetab support may have to be
removed...

on other things, at akademy during the bof something that was suggested is to
disable the recommendations panel and the location applet
 http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/PA4

 sincedoesn't seem much usable and has only one plugin...
personally, on one part I don't like removing features we had, on the other
part i'm all for simplification (especially when it can save some megabyte of
ram) but I'm keeping opinions for myself so far, so let's discuss it.

another thing may be the video, that i'm not sure if still ok or should be
changed, if we still want an introductory video.

other than that, modulo proximity blindness, it looks fine for me on devices
!= wetab