Task Launcher - mockups

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 12:14:57 UTC 2013

On Thursday 31 January 2013, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:30:19 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > and generally useful, but isn't what I really had intended. Again: The UI
> > is merely an implementation detail.
>
> well, post-concept it becomes the design focus .. which is why marco and i
> tend to spend so much time talking about it ;)
>
> > What we have to decide is: Do we dare the big paradigm shift? Do we want
> > to replace "Plasma Media Center" (with its functions to play music and
> > play videos) with "Play Videos" / "Play Music", and "Calendar" with the
> > functions to view and manage calendars and create events with "Browse
> > Calendar", "Manage Calendars" and "Create Event", "Marble" with
> > "Browse/View/Navigate Maps"?
>
> personally, i'm in favour of exploring this further ..  :)
>
> we've already started down this line with Books and Images. having Videos
> and Music in there which launch PMC directly showing those is a natural
> next step. the user should never "launch" PMC but rather go to viewing
> content (either browsing what is available or opening a specific item).

pmc as is is quite a thing that i see more for another shell (set top box form
factor or something like that)

for videos i would certainly see a very simple video app that plays a single
video selected from fiels and that's it.

but here is also where i think we kindof hit a wall. for music instead we
shout either
a) make the files app extremely complex, or
b) delegate this to pmc and make it the "browser" of music, since while
listening music one expect to brose by artist/album/year, make playlists,
connect to remote streams and so forth

putting all of this in the file browser, no matter how "modular" is done,
again accentrates the work and makes it less scalable as concept, as ui and as
manpower.
almost the same discourse probably holds for pim stuff like mails and possibly
contacts, calendars etc.