Task-Centric file creation - First mockups

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Jan 29 20:01:07 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,
as suggested by notmart, I fired up Pencil ( http://pencil.evolus.vn/ ) to draw
a mockup of my first ideas for a task-centric UI. Since that is what we need
most urgently, I started with a way to initiate file-creation tasks.
Following Shantanu's idea that the Add Items dialog would be a good place to
create new files (if a user creates a new file in PA, she is most likely to do
so in the context of an Activity) and considering Marco's concern that the Add
Items dialog is already pretty crowded with elements, I thought "Why not
putting new files on the same level as existing files? From a user's
perspective, why should the process be any different?"
So as you can see in "Add Items Dialog With New Files.png", I've just inserted
the different kinds of new documents into the list of files. If the user selects
one of them and taps "Add Items", the Add Items dialog is replaced by the "New
Text Document Dialog". This dialog lists the available tasks involving the
creation of text documents. Tapping one of the tasks starts it.
The tasks I put in there may not be very good examples since there are better
entry points for them (like a contact or an event), but those were already
discussed in our two meetings so they came to my mind first ;)
I don't know if it's technically feasible to merge the "New XXX" icons with
the list of existing files, I just did what I felt made sense form a user's
perspective.

I've also attached the Pencil file in case somebody would like to modify it (if
your Oxygen icons are located in /usr/share/icons/oxygen, they should be
found.

So, as always: Feedback welcome!

Cheers,
Thomas