GSOC Kontact Touch

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Feb 26 17:23:29 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 17:12:43 Michael Bohlender wrote:
> polish everything" so Kontact Touch seems to be a good candidate in my
> eyes.

+1

> Now I am looking for a mentor and the right scope for my project. I want to
> do mostly UI work. Would porting things over to plasma-qml components  be a
> good project?

from the perspective of Plasma Active, yes :) at the very least, a number of
the UI concepts in Kontact Touch are a bit dated and could use some updating.

> I am not sure how much work that will be and if I can manage to port every
> application of the suite in the given time. So maybe just focus on one or
> two?

there is a lot of possible work in Kontact Touch, so limiting the scope is
absolutely going to be required.

some are small things like getting rid of the odd little "show apps" button in
the top left that is a legacy from Nokia N900 days. the side drawers could be
harmonized with the Plasma Active look 'n feel.

there are bigger issues as well such as the extensive use of
QGraphicsProxyWidget which will become a really uncomfortable thing when
moving to QML2.

all the search and config widgets, for instance, are QWidgets imported into the
scene via QGraphicsProxyWidget (which is horrible for performance) .. thse
should be replaced with pure QML.

the Calendar widget is another, but imho that is going to be too large for a
realistic GSoC project for someone who is not already intimately familiar with
the calendar widget.

there is the multi-window workflow that is honestly pretty awkward and
performance problem on device.

so there are lots of possible targets there. picking one class of issue in
Kontact Touch is probably good for a GSoC project.

> The UI seems to be designed with a smaller form factor in mind. Is it
> supposed to stay this way or am I free to experiment and make it more
> suitable for tablet use?

preferably the UI should scale, within reason, to higher and lower
resolutions. the current design is pretty limited, but then it was written in
another time when QML itself was more l imited and was targetting a very
specific device ...