PA on WeTab & ExoPC

Uwe Geuder plasmaActive-ugeuder at snkmail.com
Mon Feb 25 16:36:04 UTC 2013

Thanks Thomas for your quick reply.

On 25 February 2013 14:20, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:

> The hardware itself is rather old and crappy, but in fact that's the
> hardware most of the development team uses. So if something works for
> us™, it should work on your WeTab/ExoPC as well.

OK, so this should not be a completely hopeless excercise. But the
people in the team don't suffer from completely unusable touch some 30%
of the time??? Because I have the feeling that this problem is caused by
the Linux device driver at best, probably even the firmware or the
hardware.

> Since the WeTab and ExoPC differ in little more than branding, the problems
> will always be the same with both of them.

Yes, I know. But it makes at least the probability smaller that I just
was unlucky enough to get a piece of exceptionally bad touch hardware.

> The first and most important question is: Which image did you use? Plasma
> Active 3? Testing? Development?

Good question. I guess just followed the most prominent links that
Google brought up and the image I still have on my PC is unumbered. Ah,
md5sum matches with
https://share.basyskom.com/plasma-active/deployment/wetab-exopc/tablet/mer/stable/

Is that what you call PA3?

> I'd recommend using the latest Devel image (
> https://share.basyskom.com/plasma-active/deployment/wetab-exopc/tablet/mer/devel/weekly/
> )

OK, good info, I wasn't aware that there are still weekly images
produced. I somehow remembered that Eva said in here presentation in
Akademy last summer that the "active" project phase had already ended by
then. I can of course take that image.

> An update rendering your device unbootable is something that may happen from
> time to time with Devel,

So do I interpret you correctly that updating from the repos
configured in the weekly = devel image just give me the next week's image?
(with some definition of week and plus/minus data in configuration files
and plus/minus obscure differences caused by rpm updating of course)

> so to be on the safe side, you should
> always backup any critical data before doing zypper up.

Understood. So far I haven't even dared to store any critical data :)

Regards,

Uwe