kickstarts and adaptations

Maurice de la Ferté kadava at gmx.de
Sat Feb 23 14:59:55 UTC 2013

Hi all,

On 14.01.2013 21:35, Marco Martin wrote:
> Hi all,
> right now most of the images, x86 and some of the arm ones are created from a
> series of kickstart files in the plasma-active-kickstart, legacy-kickstarts
> subdirectory.
>
> as the name "legacy" says, there are better ways to do that.
>
> I recreated the info for creating images in the form of yaml files, still in
> the plasma-active-kickstart repo.
> That's for coherence with Nemo:
> It has a general yaml file plus one yaml file for each hardware adaptation:
>
> in this way it will be possible to produce a kickstart file for each device
> with a single command, you can try it with:
>
> mer-kickstarter -e . -c latest-devel/plasma-active-latest-devel.yaml -o
> active-latest-ks/
>
> as a bonus it uses now all yaml adaptation files from Nemo, gaining support
> for n900,950,pandaboard and an image optimized for virtual machines (with
> virtualbox tools and stuff)
>

> Since we have now contributions of adaptations to new devices such as the
> nexus7, it would be cool if everything will go there, so will be possible to
> better track  what are all the devices where active works, and make easier for
> people to contribute and build images themselves.
>
> It's still not perfect, but i would like to switch the weekly devel images to
> this asap.

I integrated the legacy kickstart files of Archos gen9 and Nexus7 into
yaml structure of plasma-active-kickstart maintaining repository. Also
I added the repo definitions of testing based images, which are still
using the frozen Mer core '0.20120816.1' dependencies.

The ce/nemo community is building against the always latest mer release
but we are building on top of a older fixed one for *testing*. This will
hit us
at some point for adaptations we are not building on our own. We should
ask the nemo maintainers to offer us package repositories which are
based on the same fixed mer core release. As short term work-around
I just copied over breaking packages and rebuild them our
Project:KDE:Mer_Extras:Adaptation:Tegra3:Nexus7 project on
build.pub.meego.com

Affected repositories are:
    - ce-adaptation-n900   (http://repo.pub.meego.com)
    - ce-adaptation-n9xx-common   (http://repo.pub.meego.com)
    - ce-adaptation-n950-n9   (http://repo.pub.meego.com)
    - ce-adaptation-pandaboard   (http://repo.pub.meego.com)
    - nemo-hw-nv-tegra3-common   (http://repo.merproject.org)
    - nemo-hw-nv-tegra3-nexus7   (http://repo.merproject.org)

git clone  git://anongit.kde.org/plasma-active-kickstart

Please note,by the integration work several packages got dropped from
the Archos and Nexus arm based kickstart files. I fear we have to re
added some of them again into a e.g. generic/plasma-active-arm.yaml
file or (what I prefer) adding the lost packages to the 'plasma-active'
meta packages of devel and testing project. Here a short overview
of dropped packages from arm based ks files:

Nexus 7:
libqtdeclarative4-particles, less, tar, upower, strace and several games.

Archos Gen9:
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, libqtdeclarative4-particles, less, tar, upower,
strace and several games.

If you like to try out or take a deep look: ftp://5.9.162.110

Yes the Archos Gen9 devel images are still broken, but from now on we
can think about how to fix it.

Cheers,

Maurice