Task-centirc-interface

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Feb 5 14:24:57 UTC 2013

On 05.02.2013 15:00, Wolfgang Romey wrote:
> Thank you (and Aaron) for making clear the reasons for not offering "the old
> way". It makes really sense for me, so i will wait patiently.

Thank you for your understanding :)

> By tagging not really working i mean, that the tags in my music-files and my
> pictures are not used in files. I have a lot of pictures, which i tagged in
> digikam. It would be great, if files or the mpc would recognize and use them.
> Once i had about 300 pictures on my wetab. Without using the tags which are
> set in digikam, one can not handle them.

Yes, file metadata is definitely a missing feature which is already on
our roadmap. At the moment we are still figuring out ways to dispay and
search for them in Files, but ideas have already been created [1]. Which
release will contain this feature is not clear yet, but we see recognize
its importance and are planning to implement it soon.

As far as I know, tags assigned in digiKam are not stored in the files
themselves but in digiKams own database. If I remember correctly, there
are plans to make digiKam use Nepomuk for tagging, but I don't know the
current status of that effort. But even then we'd still need to
synchronize Nepomuk data from the computer running digiKam to the PA
device. We definitely want that synchronization as well, but this will
probably be a non-trivial matter.

Cross-device photo information management isn't easy in general since it
typically involves information stored in databases, but I recognize that
it is very important for users and I am sure it is a problem we'll solve
at some point.

Thomas

[1]
http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/PA4/Files#Content-type_Specific_Metadata_as_Tags