User data backup (was: Zypper up on stable PA4 image killed Maliit)

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sat Aug 31 08:48:15 UTC 2013

On Friday 30 August 2013 17:30:01 Wolfgang Romey wrote:
> Am Freitag, 30. August 2013, 17:21:35 schrieb Sebastian Kügler:
> > On Friday, August 30, 2013 17:15:29 Wolfgang Romey wrote:
> > > Thank you. I know that. But how about the average user?
> >
> > Realistically, two questions:
> >
> > - How much of this "average user" are there?
>
> Hopefully soon there will be more average users. We have to tell it then and
> should know what to tell them in time.
>
> > - What's the alternative, not mentioning that data will be lost?
>
> The alternative could to tell them to install dolphin or install by default
> and tell them to do a backup with it.
> Cheers

Using Dolphin to copy files in hidden folders using a touchscreen is probably
even less fun than doing it via Konsole with some commands posted somewhere.

I think it's okay to assume that people who installed PA3 have enough
technical knowledge to follow instructions we give them using Konsole. I'd say
you, Wolfang, are a good indicator for the technical skill level PA3 users
have. So if we can come up with instructions you can follow, we should be fine
;)

I'd recommend that during the PA5 dev cycle we (or someone else) develop a
touch-friendly backup / restore solution which people can install via Add Ons
and use for the migration from PA4 to PA5 if that requires a reinstall as wlel
(or if they need to reinstall for some other reason, or migrate to a new
device or whatever).