Zypper up on stable PA4 image killed Maliit

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Fri Aug 30 15:04:42 UTC 2013

On 30.08.2013 16:03, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Thursday, August 29, 2013 23:52:14 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
>> True. So we probably should go with Carl's suggestion to explicitly tell
>> people that migration from PA3 isn't possible and if they've used PA3, they
>> should reinstall.
>
> Not quite, "upgrading from PA3 is not supported, but might work (or might
> not). We recommend a clean installation.". People don't like to hear
> "impossible", and it isn't, just that we don't want to debug the mess it
> leaves. We should also mention backing up the user data in /home/mer).

I'd leave out the "might work", just say "Upgrading from PA3 is not
officially supported" or "There is no official upgrading path form PA3
to PA4". We don't necessarily have to explicitly say "It's impossible",
but we should not encourage anyone to try it, either. It simply won't
work, and we want as few angry users as possible.