Zypper up on stable PA4 image killed Maliit

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Aug 29 21:00:07 UTC 2013

On Thursday 29 August 2013 22:53:42 you wrote:
> n Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 9:38 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar at autistici.org>wrote:
> > Hi,
> > last night I did another zypper up on my stable image to get the Add Ons
> > fix. I
> > got quite a few packages upgraded or installed: Among others, all the
> > maliit
> > packages were replaced by versions with a -qt4 suffix or upgraded and,
> > several
> > qt5 packages were installed.
> > Since the next reboot, the virtual keyboard won't show up anymore.
> > What happened? This has to be fixed before release so that zypper up won't
> > leave people without a keyboard.
>
> I had to rename those packages since nemo now ships with packages with the
> exact same name but built for qt5 and we have to avoid those (apparently on
> some sdk installations it produced good images, on others got confused and
> couldn't produce an image).
>
> generated images do work, i just tried to do a new one, seems fine.
>
> it's weird that update doesn't work, probably pulled the qt5 version
> together the qt4 one.
> but being a package called "maliit-framework" based on qt5 in nemo i don't
> think we can't do anything about it.
> images done after the name change are correct and are going to correctly
> update.
> installations older than thast, don't think can be fixed (if somebody with
> more packaging-fu has an idea, please do tell ;)

I don't mind if my RC won't upgrade to the final image correctly, I can just
reinstall. What we should think about is if we think we need to provide a
working upgrade path from PA3 to PA4 or if we think that it's okay for those
few who have installed PA3 on their device to do a reinstall with PA4.

What is our approach here?
Cheers,
Thomas