discourse and usernames

Giorgos Tsiapaliokas terietor at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 18:10:53 UTC 2013

Hello,

right now for the usernames in discourse we spit the email of the person,
so if we have the email foo at gmail.com the username in discourse will
be foo, but this has the issue that if two users have the emails
foo at gmail.com and foo at yahoo.com the first one will end up with the username
foo and the second one won't be able to login(no account will be created).

So we need something else, if we have the user with
firstname: foo
lastname: bar
email: foo at kde.org

the possible solutions are foo_bar, foobar yes this means that we *can't*
have as usernames the 'foo bar' and 'foo at kde.org'.
I guess the desired solution would be to have 'foo at kde.org' as a username,
since
in the bodega-server we auth with the email. I have written a patch which
allows us
to have as usernames the emails, basically I just changed the regular
expression which
validates the username I will try to get it merged in the discourse. If the
patch goes in I guess problem solved but if it doesn't? Do we want another
custom patch?

--
Giorgos Tsiapaliokas (terietor)

terietor.org