Kontact Touch MailView Mockups

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Aug 1 17:28:59 UTC 2013

On Thursday 01 August 2013 18:54:18 Michael Bohlender wrote:
> I feel like I only communicate with my mentors and not enough with the
> whole team so here is a little look at whats going on:
> I will be working on the MailView Page for the next three weeks. As usual
> we start with mockups.

Good idea to post the mockups to the list!

> This is the very first iteration:
> https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2wLkUtvD4v_SkZyZEFXVDZ1ZEk&usp=shar
> ing

Looks great overall!

Some feedback:
- One doesn't really need to see the original mail when replying or
forwarding, because its content will usually be in the composing area anyway
(quoting), unless you forward as attachment, but even then you probably don't
need to see it. Not showing the original mail would give us more space for the
composing area, especially because currently
- The address fields are too narrow. Entering something via touch keyboard is
not fun anyway, and it gets even more difficult if you can't see all of what you
typed. For checking if you typed the address correctly, you'd have to navigate
back and forth in the edit field, which isn't a good idea. Therefore, the fields
should be wide enough for common email addresses to fit in completely
- What happens if I tap "Add recipient"? Will it add a To or CC or BCC? Can I
change the type of recipient afterwards?
I think KMail does a pretty good job with adding recipients: You can change
between To/CC/BCC at any point and you can easily add another recipient by
just typing into the empty field. This seems more convenient to me than pushing
a button.
- The encrypt/sign buttons should only appear if encryption is configured. If
we want to actively advertise encryption to people not using it yet, they
might be replaced by a button which starts an encryption setup wizard that
even allows you to create a new pair of GPG keys. That would be awesome, but
not in the scope of the GSoC, of course.

> Next thing I am going to look at is attachments.

That brings us back to the fact that we don't have a file picker in PA yet. You
should not need to do that, so we might postpone that until a file picker is
there.