Bodega GSoC 2013 Proposal

Giorgos Tsiapaliokas terietor at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 15:39:33 UTC 2013

Hello,

this my proposal for the GSoC 2013

My proposal contains(in short) the below tasks

* implement the rankings functionality for the assets in the bodega-server
(1)
* implement a comment system for the bodega system (2)
* add support in our clients(bodega-client and bodega-webapp-client) for the
collections. (3)

-detailed description

(1): The server doesn't support the rating of an asset.
Our system shouldn't use the common 5-star system because
it is well known that this system isn't meaningful

http://xkcd.com/1098/

:)

So our system will have predefined categories for each kind of assets.
For instance the books will have different categories from the applications.

Each asset type will have categories which will map to numeric values
from 1-5.

Also the bodega-server will offer an API in order our clients to be able to
take the data.

(2): The common way for a comment system in a store is this one(check the
screenshot). The problem with this approach is that it becomes chaotic
after a
number or replies and there is no way to take some valuable information
within
a logical amount of time.

So our solution should be a forum. Using a forum system makes it much more
easier to find useful information in a short amount of time.

So we need a forum
*  in which our users will be able to login with their bodega account
*  each participant who has upload an asset in the store will have a forum
and for each asset that he has uploaded a sub-forum will be created.

-technical details

we will use an existing forum system such as phpbb,
in which
* I will implement a json API with which the bodega-server
will communicate and create the appropriate forums and sub-forums.
* make it possible to connect with the bodega-server credentials.

(3): The bodega-server offers an API for the collections(most downloads,
most views, etc) but our clients doesn't support this API. So I will
implement this functionality.

-Timeline

(1) rankings:
-2 weeks for implementing the feature
-1 week for creating the public API

(2) comment system:
-2 week for implementing the login feature
-3 weeks for implementing the public API
-1 week for implementing support for it in the bodega-server

(3) collections:
-1 week for implementing it in the bodega-client
-1 week for implementing it the core functionality in the
bodega-webapp-client
-1 week for implementing the ui in the bodega-webapp-client

2 weeks for finishing the loose ends

Regards,
Giorgos

--