GSoC proposal - Network management for PA

Lamarque V. Souza lamarque at kde.org
Tue Apr 23 15:22:24 UTC 2013

On Monday 22 April 2013 22:32:02 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
>Hi Jan,
>
>On Monday, April 22, 2013 20:08:37 Jan Grulich wrote:
>> I would like to join to GSoC and I have my own idea. Since we are working
>> on
>> a new plasma network applet I think it would be great to improve this
>> applet for Plasma active because the current applet is not simply usable.
>> I've already talked about it with Lamarque on the solid sprint but I need
>> also some co-mentor from Plasma active (if somebody like this idea).
>
>Cool thing. I might be able to co-mentor you. I'll let the idea sink and will
>provide feedback.
>
>> The idea is:
>> Network applet for Plasma applet written in plasma2:
>> 1) Customize our applet for Plasma active and use plasma2
>> 2) Write some basic editor in QML instead of using QWidgets and drop
>> support for unnecessary devices and properties

	Plasma Active has its own system settings program different from
the one used in Plasma Desktop. It is called plasma active settings (or just active
settings):

http://pactivehandbook.sourceforge.net/html/en/cha.plasma_active.configure.htm
l#proc.plasma-active.configure
http://vizzzion.org/blog/2012/01/active-settings-modular-embeddable-configuration/

	I thought we could add a module to active settings to manage wifi,
mobile and vpn connections only, maybe wired (thinking of wired USB). The
module would also allow to create wifi shared connections (hot spots).

>> 3) Maybe some KCM for Plasma active

	Active settings is not kcm based. You will need to create a mobule
specific to active settings. You can find active settings in plasma-mobile
repository (under applications/settings folder).

>> 4) Add support for activities

	That is one topic I have been thinking for some months. We need
to think about the use cases for that.

--
Lamarque V. Souza
KDE's Network Management maintainer