bodega server and devel workflow

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Apr 12 16:50:28 UTC 2013

hi everyone ..

today i introduced a small number of changes to the bodega server and its
installation which will be significant in future.

first, we will be adopting the master/integration branch strategy in bodega-
server that we have been using in plasma-mobile. this will allow us to keep a
steady and solid production server online at all times that tracks master
while we work on improvements. the branch tracking page is here:

	http://community.kde.org/Plasma/IntegrationBranches/bodega-server

the existing installation on addons.makeplaylive.com continues on and will be
the production system. this installation will house all production content
(e.g. apps, user accounts) going forward. it will be tracking the master
branch of bodega-server.

it used to also be available from makeplaylive.com .. but no more. it can only
be reached by addons.makeplaylive.com

it is joined by a testing server. this server is available at
teston.makeplaylive.com and uses the integration branch. currently, tracking
commits is still done manually but in future i'd like this to be automated so
that people can simply merge into integration and test immediately on
teston.makeplaylive.com.

to try teston.makeplaylive.com from active-addons, add this to your active-
addonsrc:

	[AddOns]
	URL=http://testons.makeplaylive.com:3000

this exposes a current limitation of active-addons: one server at a time.
making it possible to have multiple servers configured and available at once
would be an amazing feature to have, and fortunately this shoudl be made
relatively easy due to the Session class in libbodega. note that active-addons
has optional support now for accounts via accounts-sso. this is something
we'll have to bring into PA5.

bodega server may also be configured now to listen only to a specific network
device. this is particularly useful to make it listen on localhost. to make
that happen, add something like this to the config.js:

	"host": "localhost"

this change was motivated by placing haproxy in front of the two bodega
installations. along with the addition of redis server config in config.json,
this will allow us to add new server nodes in future with ease.