playing mp3s in PA4

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 13:15:12 UTC 2013

On Friday 12 April 2013, Wolfgang Romey wrote:

> I thought you have to pay license fees for mp3 encoders and not for
> decoders and that the problem was, that mp3 is not a free format.
>
> As Marco Martin solved the problem of mp3 indexing,  he must have somme
> mp3- files on his tablet. Is he not able to play them?

indexing works, since taglib doesn't have particular legal issues.

problem for mp3 mpeg4, h264 and so on is that  is not actually completely
legal to ship by default (very grey area, but for stuff intended to be bundled
to hardware there are issues even in europe)
even on desktop most linux distributions don't ship that by default, and you
have to use 3rd party repos not affiliated to the distribution in any way to
have fully working ffmpeg and that stuff

i would be happy if somebody 3rd party makes rpms for that available, but
really has to be a 3rd, not really connected party :/