Set up Plasma Active - Is there some documentation?

Matthias Heizmann matthias at heizmann.name
Wed Sep 19 14:52:18 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I bought myself an Asus EP121 (because it has a wacom pen) and would like to
use Plasma Active on this device.

First I tried the live images, but each of them failed on this device. Mostly
I just had a black screen after the start of the xserver. With Balsam
Professional 12.1 the only problem was the touchscreen pemanently reportet
that the "Down" button was pressed. So after "xinput --disable
MyTouchscreenDevice" I was able to use Plasma Active using the pen.

Afterwards, I installed my beloved Gentoo linux on the device. First I
installed kde-base/kde-meta-4.9.1 (an auxilliary package which installs a lot
of KDE packages), afterwards I installed plasma-mobile from
git://anongit.kde.org/plasma-mobile.

I expected an additional "Plasma Active" entry in KDM but it seems that I have
to configure the usual "Plasma" that it becomes touch friendly (right?).

I started /usr/bin/plasma-device. Afterwards I had this nice panel with the
pulldown ability at the top and two additional activities.
However, a lot of things are wrong. If I pull down the panel it is sometimes
below other applications, sometimes above, all applications still have window
decorations, applications should start in fullscreen, there is still the usual
plasma desktop panel at the bottom, I don't have a virtual keyboard, etc.

How can I configure plasma and what applications do I have to start that it
looks as nice as in these youtube videos? (At the moment I don't need contour
or share-like-connect). Is there some documentation how to set up plasma
active?

Cheers,
Matthias