Plasma Active 3

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Wed Sep 5 09:07:44 UTC 2012

On 04.09.2012 23:16, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 4, 2012 20:26:51 Marco Martin wrote:
>> On Thursday 30 August 2012, Marco Martin wrote:
>>> on more pr side, announcement material:
>>> * list of some features
>>> * announcement and dot articles
>>> * tons of screenshots
>>> * video (can give a try, but i don't have cameras that shoot decent high
>>> res video, so anybody with a decent camera is welcome to do so)
>>
>> this is a fisrst quick video:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0JJUTIEcAI
>
> looks very good imo; i particularly like how the text in between shots is
> short and clear .. highlights the progress that's been made quite nicely.

I agree, it's very nice! I've just spotted two things that maybe could still be
improved:
- I don't know if it's because of the low resolution, but at least in that
version the text of the resource browser filters is not readable at all and
therefore from watching the video one can't tell what these filters do.
Therefore the awesomeness of the resource browser doesn't really come across.
Maybe it would make sense to zoom in on the drawer during the filtering so one
can see what's going on there?
- When using Kmail Touch, it looks like you try swiping several times but
nothing happens. Either something actually _did_ happen but you can't tell what
happened from the video, or the screen didn't recognize the gesture, or there is
a bug in Kmail Touch. Either way, it gives the impression that Plasma Active is
sluggish, which is not good for a touchscreen UI, so I think that should be cut.

> it may be worth doing a series of videos over the next weeks highlighting
> individual improvements. things like the changes to the Add To Activity
> dialogs, how okular active works, etc ... good blogfodder. :)

+1! Okular Active deserves more showcasing as it's really good, and the
improvements to the dialogs show attention to detail.
However either the dialogs should be filmed on a smaller tablet or with PA on
MeeGo, because on a Wetab with PA on Mer's high resolution, the buttons and
input fields are clearly way too small, which doesn't shed a good light on our
UX. We clearly need DPI-awareness for all interactive QML components in the
future, but for now I suggest we just don't show high resolutions where the
problem becomes apparent.

> in general, really nice work and awesome to see the progress that is being
> made across the board.

Agreed! I was especially pleased to see that there is now a "ghost" of the
dragged resources in the browser, I must admit I haven't updated since that was
implemented. Will have to try it out myself soon!