Enabling UMTS on Archos G9 in Plasma Active

Maurice de la Ferte Maurice.Ferte at basyskom.com
Mon Oct 29 15:13:12 UTC 2012

Jean Hi,

On October 29, 2012 at 2:41 PM Jean Cayron <jean.cayron at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maurice,
> 2012/10/26 Maurice de la Ferte <Maurice.Ferte at basyskom.com>
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > we added 3G/UMTS support to our latest Archos Gen9 Plasma Active devel and
> > testing images.
> > Great thanks to Ruediger Gad who did this work and also published accurate
> > dokumentation
> > about on
> > http://ruedigergad.com/2012/10/07/enabling-umts-on-archos-g9-in-plasma-active/#more-566
> >
> > Latest weekly Testing and Devel images should already contain all needed
> > parts to get the external
> > Archos 3G UMTS stick running out of the box:
> >
> You said in the past that testing image was not maintained, that one should
> test with devel image. Is it still the case?

No, we did some work on testing image definitions and project setup, by this
the testing project contains the release state plus few handpicked updates/fixes.
Also the testing project is building on top of the same frozen Mer version
we took for the release, so it is a qualified staging project for updates in
the field.

Sadly to project setup with Mer, Nemo and hardware adaptions is a bit
confusing. But the changes releated to Archos 3G UMTS support taking only
place inside the hardware adaption projects and are available for the
devel and testing images (also pvr is affected). The build and publishing
of Archos hardware adaption rpms for the release image is disabled at the
moment till we agree to ship it.

> And what about the hardware acceleration of Archos G9, as it improved? Is
> there someone working on it? In other words, does it worth to try the pvr
> image again?

At the moment no one is working on Archos G9 hardware adaption with pvr.
But I added the 3G support in the same way like for omapfb. The screensaver
and powerdevil support is still disabled by 'plasma-mobile-config-archos-gen9-pvr'
package.

Cheers,

Maurice