"Big picture" design one release cycle ahead?

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Sun Oct 28 11:22:39 UTC 2012

On Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:55:37 Björn Balazs wrote:
> Hi Thomas, all,
>
> to stress your words: I think best practice for doing usability work
> in an Agile Context is to extent the current sprint in both
> directions. Not only the next sprint needs to be prepared, also the
> results of the last sprint need to be evaluated in order to foster
> the idea of continuous improvement of the team and the results.
>
> So absolutely agreeing with what you suggest Thomas, I would like to
> bring in the idea of even doing the same thing for the smaller
> sprints on our way to the next major release.
>
> Let's get in touch with our users - try to understand what is working
> good and where improvements are needed, as part of the preparation of
> the next sprint. And after the sprint, let's again talk to them and
> see if we managed to substantially improve the perceived quality.

I think herein lies the problem.  Who are the users? Or rather: Who are the
intended users?

I think we can all agree that our[1] *current* users are hackers, mostly with
a KDE background. That demography is not very big and cannot be the full
intended audience.  :-)

So who are the intended users?  After some deep analysis (i.e. standing in my
shower thinking about the problem) I have come up with 3 possible groups who
might be more interested in Plasma Active than the average person:

1. Tinkerers like the people who buy and hack the Raspberry Pie. This is an
extension of our current user base. Being able to hack a tablet OS is probably
very exciting to these people and Plasma Active is about the only viable
solution out there.

2. The control industry. I think that many companies will be very interested
in having full control over their solution. I also think that many control
applications will turn to tablets because they can give a good interactive
feedback to the end user.

3. Educational organizations. Here I think of both public ones and in-house
ones inside larger organizations. The interesting part here is probably not PA
in itself, but the larger system with a free add-on server. The current
solutions with IOS, Android and Windows RT all have problems with content
distribution going through a central server controlled by somebody else.

So there you have it. What I think we can forget for the foreseeable future is
the normal consumer going out and buying a Plasma Active based tablet.

So... I bet that these groups have very different needs and priorities. My
personal interest lies with category 3, but I also think that this group needs
the most mature system. And I know that Aaron likes to say that "we can't play
the number-of-apps game" but I think that the lack of apps for will be seen as
a big problem for this group even though it's not strictly a problem for their
intended use in itself.

I intentionally put the groups in the order I did because I think that the
needs for group k+1 is a superset of the needs of group k. Maybe a viable plan
would be to make PA4 target group 1, then expand the scope of work to the
needs of group 2 for PA5 and so on?

It's interesting though to see that the suggested focus for PA4 is books and
reading. I have the feeling that this suggestion was made before any analysis
was done about the intended users. So is books and reading a priority for
group 1?  Luckily I think it is.  :)

Finally, to think a little more about the big picture - and with this I mean
the whole eco system, not just the software on the tablet...

It is my firm belief that for PA to become a sustainable success we need to
have commercial interest. This includes both paid developers and real-world
solutions based on PA. But first we need hardware. Fortunately I hear that
this is going to be covered RSN. So we can concentrate on the software.

This means that we should try to get group 2 on board as soon as possible. And
for the long term I don't think we should dismiss compatibility with Android
out of hand.

> We would probably need dot releases after each sprint (and hence have
> a shippable product after each sprint) and we would need to implement
> some way of talking to the users (best would probably be directly
> through the product).
>
> This would also allow us to ask relevant questions on our way to a
> task centric approach.
>
> What do you guys think?

Well, see above.  Sorry for the long rant, but this is a time for decisions
and we need to look at the even bigger picture outside our software
development.

	-Inge

> Cheers,
> Björn

[1] I include myself here even though I haven't hacked much on Plasma Active
because I have some Plans(tm)...

> Am Freitag, 26. Oktober 2012, 13:21:49 schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
>> Hey folks,
>> I have a suggestion:
>> I fully support Aaron's idea of small concentrated effort sprints
>
>with
>
>> integrated design and development, which comes pretty close to
>
>agile
>
>> development. However, product managers in the industry have found
>
>that such
>
>> short design cycles do not work well for all kinds of design. They
>
>work
>
>> well for small features/improvements, but for introducing larger
> changes or
>
>> completely new concepts, longer research/strategy/design phases
> work
>
>> better.
>>

>> One of these big changes for me is fleshing out the general concept of
>> task-driven design for PA. Since the big picture won't be implemented in
PA4