Running PA3 on openSUSE 12.2

Josua Mayer josua.mayer97 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 21:15:20 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am working on making PlasmaActive 3 on openSUSE 12.2 running on my
phone. So far I have packaged all necessary things using the opensuse
build service here[1]. I have an issue starting the thing though.

I have created a .xinitrc containig the line:
startactive

Running startx(as root for now) should boot PA.
What actually happens is that I see the loading screen for a while, and
then it vanishes, leaving the black X screen. Soon a grey box pops up
containg the following message:
Semantic Data Storage
...oso RDF server to store its data. Installing the Virtuoso So...

I don't see the dots of course, but that's where my screen ends. Then
nothing happens anymore.
Checking the output of startactive(logfile attached), I found that the
last thing it does is to start nepomuk and then waits for
org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukqueryservice which apparently never
appears. I checked running processes and there is only
/usr/bin/nepomukserver, nothing else. But there should also be
"/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub nepomukqueryservice" running. I have no
clue how that comes. In IRC it was suggested to kill nepomuk and then
start it manually on a terminal. The output is attached. Apparently
nepomukstorage just exits. So afterwards, only thing running is still
"/usr/bin/nepomukserver".

What helps is running "/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub nepomukqueryservice".
This makes startactive go on. Result on the screen is the X default
cursor becoming a normal mouse cursor.
Now I have observed two scenarios:
1) nothing ele happens on the screen
2) Some box popping up, labeled "Choice", but its not readable, no text,
possibly not fitting my screen resolution, and some red X, like when
there is no icon found. That box goes into hiding soon. Left is at
bottom of screen a small grey bar about 3/4 of screen width, saying
"Choice". Nothing else. The attached logfile is of a time when this
dialog did pop up.

startactive output says it started ksmserver, contour and
activitymanager. a quick 'ps -ef' shows that they are indeed running.

I can not see if any of those is ever considered 'started' by
startactive. It never attempts to run plasma-device so something still
blocks.

I have no idea how to handle any of these problems andwill appreciate
help given to make this work.

Josua Mayer

[1]https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=home%3Amayerjosua%3AGTA04%3Aplasmaactive
Notes:
+My work has been copied to the KDE:Active project on OBS today, but I
have done all my tests on the project I just linked.
+The startactive logfiles are of 2 times. first one copied before
running mepomukqueryservice, second one afterwards.