Three Important Things for Plasma Active 3

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Oct 13 11:31:06 UTC 2012

Hi :)

So I've been mentally chewing on the question of "what are the three important
messages for PA3?" Some suggestions were made in a previous thread on this
topic, and several of them really resonated. What follows is built on the
foundations of this input .. so thanks to everyone who contributed there :)

The point of 3it (i hesitate to turn it into a proper acronym ... ;) is to
give us a shared message that we can communicate outwardly in a consistent and
effective manner.

I think we need not one but *two* sets of 3it for PA3: one for people who know
nothing about PA, and one for the people who have been following our progress
to date. The first 3it will track with us from release to release and should
become our long term messaging track; the 2nd is our iteration message: what
are we bringing new that we haven't previously.

So ... Three Important Things about Plasma Active;

1) Activities -> Plasma Active is a mobile user interface focused on personal
productivity. It achieves this through the information-centric concept of
"Activities" wherein a person can have the life experiences they are most
engaged in reflected in the computing device. Whether it's a short term event
such as "a party next week", a topical endeavour such as a research project or
business report or a long term interest such as "parasailing" or "tropical
fish", these become topics which the device reflect as you experience them.
Information in the form of books, documents, images, videos, web sites, people
and more are collected together to form the definition of each activity the
person defines, and the device can then be requested to focus on a given
activity. This means that one device can become your exclusive party planner
one minute and with the flick of your finger morph into the quarterly report
review project that you have to deliver next week. The device reflects who you
are and what you are doing.

2) Useful from the moment you turn it on: we aim to create a useful
productivity environment complete with essential tools such as book readers,
groupware, content delivery systems, file managers and more. This makes Plasma
Active not just a starting point for a mobile experience, but a complete
mobile experience right from the start.

3) Freedom -> There is no vendor lock-in, no design behind closed doors, no
code kept behind a royalty structure or other pay-wall, no artificial technical
barriers to adoption and extension. This makes Plasma Active the perfect
platform for custom application building taken to a whole new level: not only
can your write "an app", you can build an entire device experience ... no
barriers, only possibilities. This is what drives our collaborative approach.

Three Important Things about Plasma Active Three:

1) Apps: Plasma Active Three brings numerous new and powerful applications all
designed with easy-to-use touch-based interfaces. These include:

* an Add Ons app that speaks to a Free software content server
* a file manager that incorporates tags, timelines and content discovery: want
to see all your books from last year? No problem. Want to mannage your videos?
Simple. Want to see all your images tagged as being from your vacation last
month? One touch.
* an eBook reader that integrates seamlessly with both the file manager and Add
Ons apps, so seamlessly you may not even notice it's there!
* Alarms: a simple thing, but so useful to have on a mbile device
* News Reader: a beautiful touch interface to keep up with all your favourite
online news sources

Existing applications were also enhanced, such as the improved settings and
web browsing experiences. Each release sees incremental improvements to
existing applications in addition to the release of new ones.

2) Performance and stability: compared to Plasma Active 2, Three really flies.
>From faster boot times to vastly improved application launch performance, the
experience is much smoother. Opening the image viewer, for instance, has gone
from taking a noticably long time to start (5+ seconds on many devices) to ~1
second on the same devices.

3) Upgraded OS: the base operating system used as the reference development
platform, and which we build our reference images on, is now Mer, which is the
community continuation of the MeeGo, Maemo and Moblin efforts. Mer offers Plasma
Active fresh kernel and user space packages which allows Plasma Active to take
advantage of the latest developments in Linux based systems. This has brought
significant improvements in performance and new under-the-hood features that
the user will notice in the form of things such as a nicer and more featureful
network experience (Need to access a VPN from your tablet? No problem!), an
improved on-screen keyboard and more. Mer, with its vibrant development
community focused on open development and collaboration, also reflects our core
values and allows us to work on advancements at the OS level with other
companies who are also working in this space.

Ok, so those are my thoughts / ramblings / suggestions. Feedback very welcome.
Nothing in the above is a "sacred cow" ... if we come up with a better idea
for any point or sub-point above, we can and should use it :)

Also keep in mind that the above is the verbose version. Next step will be
pare each point above down to 2-3 key phrases which we can use in passing,
with the rest of the content being our "back story" for those phrases. This
gives us the ability to go from the "soundbite sizzle" to the "supporting
steak" in conversation.

Sound bites -> expansion of concepts that pique the audience's interest -> in
depth exploration of Plasma Active (hopefully including sth hands-on) -> ??? -