Task-centric UI (was: Calligra Active's main screen)

Björn Balazs bjoern.balazs at user-prompt.com
Wed Oct 10 17:27:12 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I just joined this ML after the kind invitation from
Thomas. As he mentioned I will not be very active on this
list - but I will try to follow anything that picks up
the topic of task centric design, which I think is an
extremely interesting topic, esp. for Free Software.

For those who do not know me: I am one of the founders of
OpenUsabilty.org (and currently trying to re-animate it
again). For a living I run a small consultancy named
'user prompt', where we help our customers with our
psychologic IT expertise to work better together with
their users.

For KDE I do / did little bits and pieces here and there
- I have been in the Kontact Touch team and visited some
sprints, ran some icon tests,...

Looking forward to interesting discussions with you!

Cheers,
Björn

Am Montag, 8. Oktober 2012, 14:58:41 schrieb Thomas
Pfeiffer:
wrote:
> >> I think that is mostly a design problem, the two
things are not really
> >> against each other, in the end apps should either
reuse the file browser
> >> as
> >> a component (still figuring out how to do that) or
be able to provide
> >> custom components (and artwork) for the file browser
when browsing the
> >> files of type x.
> >
> > very good points we need to work out in more detail.
> >
> > my suggestion is that we table these discussions for
the next release. the
> > file browser is a great start, and i think we polish
up the existing
> > feature set in a number of ways. but let's focus
right now on getting
> > this out as it is ..
> Absolutely! I didn't want to bother you guys with this
before the release,
> but since it's on the table now anyway:
> I've already thought about application integration as a
future topic a bit.
> What came to my mind was Björn Balasz' presentation at
the KDE UX sprint
> April 2011 about task-centered interfaces. The general
idea current
> application-centric desktop shells are not really
compatible with users'
> mental models. A user doesn't think "I want to start
Kmail touch", but
> instead "I want to write an email to Grandma". However
currently she first
> has to think "Okay, what application do I have to start
to write an
> email?".
> The task-centered approach focuses on tasks and views
applications only as
> tools for those tasks and does not bother users with
them.
> By intentionally pushing Okular Active as an
application to the background
> and just letting users open their PDFs and ebooks
without having to care
> about which application is used to display them, we
already did the first
> step in that direction.
> However, the approach goes far beyond that, as a more
complex task workflow
> can also transition seamlessly between different
"applications", and this
> is where it gets really exciting and this is where Free
Software, with its
> collaborative nature, can really shine!
> I already asked Björn if he wanted to work with us on
this and even though
> he currently does not have enough time to work on
detailed designs, he
> agreed to join us in general discussions while we bring
his ideas to life.

> Marco's points are important to consider in this
discussion, and I think we
> can create something pretty revolutionary here which
only a Free Software
> community is capable of. At the UX sprint we started
thinking about
> "Lego-like" systems, where each "application" becomes
an exchangeable
> component in a task workflow.
>
> After the release we should start thinking about the
big picture here,
> together with Björn.
>
>  > it's already pretty sexy; hard to believe it's a
"1.0" application.

> Absolutely. I'm glad that Marco is such a talented UI
designer/developer,
> and I'm glad that I kept pushing him to improve in the
details (such as
> drag & drop visibility or tag representation). Marco,
it's always a

--
Dipl.-Psych. Björn Balazs
Business Management & Research

User Prompt GmbH | Psychologic IT Expertise
Grünberger Str. 49, 10245 Berlin | www.user-prompt.com
HRB 142277 | AG Berlin Charlottenburg | Geschäftsführer
Björn Balazs