Stability of Devel repos

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Fri Nov 23 13:06:24 UTC 2012

Hi,
currently, our Devel repositories for Mer are in quite a broken state: Plasma
crashes on start, Activities do not work and the Task switcher has a big
graphical glitch.
I assume hat at least some (if not all) of these problems were not caused by
changes in the plasma-mobile repo, but in some other repo(s). Imo the fact
that development in other KDE repositories may cause so much breakage in our
Devel repos - and obviously is not "always stable" - severely limits the
usefulness of our "always stable Master" concept: If a bug comes up, we always
have to find out first whether it was caused by a change in our code or by a
change in other components of KDE.

That's why I'm thinking if maybe it makes more sense to not build our Devel
packages from Git every day, but keep the latest stable versions and only
build from Git if we actually depend on newer code. I don't know if that's
technically feasible, but it would make it easier to see whether bugs were
caused by us or not.