integration branch in plasma-mobile

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Nov 18 15:17:08 UTC 2012

On Saturday, November 17, 2012 19:37:49 Marco Martin wrote:
> as i understood it,  when you do important changes in the topic branch that
> really may affect the review of the thing, you merge again your topic branch
> in integration.

i think it would be best if we have just one person, with a backup individual
for when they are not available, managing the integration branch. with just a
couple of branches, it's not likely to be a big deal. but with more branches
from more developers, particularly if/when things don't merge cleanly, it is
likely to get messier and coordination more difficult.

it will become difficult to maintain a known quality status if people are
merging branches at various times, particularly if branch merges end up
requiring a specific order to the merges. if things break in integration,
knowing when which branch was merged becomes pretty important. yes, there is
git log, but parsing that will get more difficult as the number of branches
grows and the amount of time a branch is in integration increases.

finally, there's the matter of merging branches into master, which will result
in a rebase of integration to master and a re-merge into integration of the
branches that were not merged into master. unless we coordinate on when that
happens and who is doing it, eventually we'll end up wtih multiple people
doing multiple merges and causing problems (and time wasted) when trying to
push to git.kde.org

so please, at least for now, let me know via email to this list when a branch
should start to be tracked by integration. we can see how this works in
practice after some months and make adjustments to the workflow if necessary.