Fwd: Re: Typography HIG

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 20:26:09 UTC 2012

On Thursday 15 November 2012, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday, November 15, 2012 19:48:22 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > Andrew Lake has written up some ideas for a typography guideline for
> > Plasma
>
> very awesome stuff. his source document can be found here as well:
>
> 	http://goo.gl/S9LXP
>
> I just about fell off my chair when I saw that there were not one, not two
> .. but THREE typography proposals in there.
>
> this has pretty big implications for Plasma::Theme and opens some questions
> as to how to effectively style fonts in QML Components.
>
> the proposals include capitalization as well as things like usage of
> weight/italics (or lack thereof), and those are / can be handled separately
> in QML. particularly the capitalization implies we will need to provide
> some pass-through functions to style raw text properly.

i basically see two aspects:
*  things like weight, italic, capitalization are all in qfont, at most the
save/load of the font to the configuration file may require a bit of tweaking
to support all those properties (not sure how much is supported right now, but
is basically serialization of qfont properties)

* font "classes" so, right now we just have defaultFont, smallestFont.
what i see from the proposal seems to move the font classes and configuration
more similar to a text document, so stuff like header, contents, active..
rather than the classes coming from the desktop (to which i didn't do qml
bindings yet) like titlebar, toolbar, desktop etc...

of the proposal i like the general idea of keeping it simple ;)

I would like indeed a more typographic text document approach, also to
consider is how much this will impact the work on the desktop as well...