Tab bar in Files - why a new widget?

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 20:26:08 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 13 November 2012, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> >> no separation is a slightly difficult problem (from a technical pov)
> >> given how components are currently used; the background difference was
> >> sth i also noted, but we don't currently have appropriate artwork
> >> available, though we know it is sth we need.
>
> I'm not even sure if we need a textured background for the drawer. Maybe
> just creating the impression of it being "below" the main window with
> shadows is already sufficient to separate them visually. In that case, it

that background is one of the things that i consider quite important artwork-
wise, to counter a bit the "ocean of gray" effect that unfortunately many apps
there have

> could have the same plain background as the tab buttons, as long as they
> look like they are on the same "level" (same position on the Z axis).

by the way, also the look of the old tabbar used there wasn't standard, was
completely done from scratch (at least the current one uses standard
toolbuttons)
the standard look is how it looks in the add items ui