After PA shell crash, booting takes a long time

David Talmage talmage at acm.org
Fri Nov 2 17:35:36 UTC 2012

I need help figuring this out.  My PA3 WeTab now takes 15 minutes to boot to a
usable state.  Even then, it's not as responive as it used to be.  PA3 was
working well until the shell crashed a few days ago.  That was right after I
installed the okular update.  I don't have reason to suspect okular.

It takes seven minutes to ask me for the kdewallet password.  Eight minutes
after than, I can pull down the app menu bar.

What can I do to debug this?  Should I forget about it and reinstall PA3?

When PA3 is finally up, wlan0 isn't up.  Eventually, the little wifi icon in the
status bar responds to my press. Then it takes a minute or two to display the
wireless settings dialog.  My network is known but apparently its password is
not remembered.  The soft keyboard doesn't appear when I press the password
type-in field. Deleting and re-creating the connection to my home network
didn't change this.

Sometimes I get the crash dialog for kdeinit4.

The power button no longer engages the sleep/shutdown screen.